Before riding a cycle on roads see if you can;
- Ride in a straight line for 10 meters.
- Stop suddenly without falling.
- Give signals with one hand while riding.
- Look back over your shoulders and take a right turn comfortably.
Before you go out on the road with your bicycle, ensure that;
- The bicycle is easily noticeable.
- There should be a headlight and rear reflector.
- Reflectors are provided on spokes of wheels, on the pedals and on the front / rear mudguard.
- Both the brakes are working properly
- The bell rings properly.
- The seat is so adjusted that your feet can touch the ground.
While on the road with your bicycle. You should wear:
- A cycle helmet made of light thermocol.
- Appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel.
- Light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you even in dark and poorly lit roads.
- Reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark.
You should also follow these rules:
- Never ride with just one hand on the handle bar except when giving a signal.
- Keep both feet on the pedals.
- Use the cycle lane, wherever provided.
- Never follow any vehicle closely. Maintain safe distance.
- Do not carry anything which may affect your balance or may get tangled up with your cycle wheels or chain.
- Avoid big and busy roads with fast moving traffic.
- Stop before you enter moving traffic from a driveway, a parking lot, a minor road, or from behind a parked car or bus. Go ahead only when the way is clear.
- Always Ride on the left of the road.
- Obey stop signs and traffic lights, like the rest of the traffic.
- Before turning right at a crossing, look back over your shoulder, and give way to the traffic coming from behind.
- Never ride your cycle on a footpath.
- Never try to overtake- if you must, do it only if the driver of the vehicle in your front has permitted or signaled you to overtake.
- Never try to overtake a vehicle, which is in the process of taking a turn.
- Always follow the light signals. Any violation of the same is not only against the law but also dangerous to your life.
- You should learn and understand the road sign and signal well.
- Never stop suddenly without showing a signal. Watchfully move towards the left while slowing down, but signal your intentions to the traffic following you.
- Under no circumstances should you ride on the wrong side of the road or cross the road abruptly.